Monday, November 17, 2008

Product Review: Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix

Tommie and I had one of those weeks - a stressful week full of 'have to's' and 'need to's' - so we decided to treat ourselves to a yummy breakfast of pancakes in our p.j.s. Well, this weekend we searched in the pantry and decided to make some Pamela's pancakes. Now we are big fans of Pamela's brownies - they're delicious and last longer then most GF brands. Plus Pamela's is one of those staples that you can find at most local stores (including Georgetown Market, Whole Foods and some of the Krogers and Meijers among others). I can't tell you why it has taken us so long to attempt Pamela's pancakes but believe me when I say we'll be eating them again.

This weekend I made the pancake mix as directed by the package - I didn't make any of my own changes. The directions are easy to understand and you only need the basic GF additives - an egg, oil, water, etc. The pancakes cook up quickly, like gluten-ful pancakes and the texture was spot on.
There were slight (absolutely minor) details though and here are my suggestions on how to get the best pancake out of the mix:
1. add a little salt to the mix - the pancakes were a little bland and some salt would bring out the flavor of the flours more
2. the mix is pretty thick so don't just plop some batter on the griddle - you'll need to move it around; the mix will not thin out and the inside of your pancake will not be cooked while the outside is.
3. do not apply syrup and let the pancakes sit - I would wait to put syrup on them until you're ready to eat, especially if you add a bucket of syrup to your pancakes like Tommie does. The pancakes will start to dissolve and you're left more with a syrup-pancake puddle.



Other then that - I give Pamela's pancakes a 4 out of 5! They're easy and yummy. If you add some salt, I bet your breakfast guests wouldn't even know they were GF. Price: this product can run anywhere from around $4.00 - $6.00 depending on where you shop. If you would like to learn more about Pamela's brand foods you can visit their website at: http://www.pamelasproducts.com/index.html

No comments: