Wednesday, May 7, 2008

GF Toronto - Big Momma's Boy



The last restaurant I am going to spotlight is Big Momma's Boy. This restaurant is in the Cabbagetown district of Toronto I would recommend spending at least a whole day in this area, it is fun, vibrant and you can find many things to do. The restaurant is situated in an old Victorian house and the decor is absolutely beautiful. There is seating indoors and outdoors, but this place is very popular and I would get there early before the rush hits. The staff was very nice and very educated in the GF arts. Being it our first time, we asked for the gluten-free menu and he informed us that the entire menu is gluten-free. Again, Tommie and I just stared at each other. Now that I look back, most of the chefs and restaurant staff we encountered must have though we were a couple sandwiches short of a picnic by the way we reacted in their restaurants. It's not everyday you travel to a city that has countless gluten-free options, unless you live in Toronto of course. Needless to say, this restaurant is the real deal folks, everything (except the spring rolls) on the menu can be done gluten-free and let me tell you, I think we ordered at least half of the menu.
We had spent the day sightseeing and were exhausted and starving by the time we entered Big Momma's Boy. We didn't know the next time we'd be in Toronto so we figured we'd order a bunch of food and take the extra back to the hotel with us for the next day. We ordered pulled pork sandwiches, pizza (again) with Canadian sausage, chocolate cake, ...I don't want to make this blog too long so I'll stop there. Everything was delicious and even though we had managed to not hug or kiss any chefs or wait staff to this point, I couldn't handle it anymore - so I hugged the waiter. He just laughed and smiled, it appears they get a lot of people from outside of Toronto and their website even boast that their pizza is so good, people from other provinces come to Toronto just to eat at their restaurant. I believe it. Our bill only came up to around $65 and believe me, we ordered a TON of food, enough for at least four people (let me remind you there are only 2 of us). Next time you're in Toronto, make this restaurant a 'must' on your list because I guarantee a wonderful time and absolutely fabulous food!

No comments: